Monday, October 4, 2010

5K'in My Way Through a Surprise Storm!

My biggest worry all along with signing up for a 5K was I didn't have enough training time (less than 1 month with an unexpected injury) and it has been so hot (105 degrees) everyday making it harder to get through my runs outside!!
I have been pushing myself though and really wanted to do this!
Now clearly I did not think this out?! My Saturday consisted of my shuttling the kids back in forth to their soccer games all day (in our crazy heat). Balancing all the gear, chairs, umbrellas, cooler, soccer balls on occasion when the kids claim their "hands are full" (I mean they do have to hold their snack of course!).
Then the race is set to begin at 6:30 pm!!
When Jim gets home from work I head out. As my friends and I are closing in on the site of the race it is like we are driving ourselves right into the eye of a storm which we didn't even know about? It is just a huge cloud of dust!!
As we get there it is super windy and dusty with lightening but they say the race will still go on ...seriously?!
Now the organizers themselves have decided it is still a bit early, but get ready and just start now to try and beat the storm.
So we are off..... the wind is just belting us and pushing us back and there were hills I wasn't prepared for (again, clearly didn't think this through!). There were luminaries to light our path through as it was a "Glow Run" at night. However the wind had blown them all out! It was just crazy! So about halfway through we were running in the absolute dark. My friend Katie and I stuck together, chatting the whole way through laughing at all we had to endure for what should have been a peaceful, beautiful 5K through a golf course.
Luckily I did manage to run the whole way!!! I feel great that I made it though and am ready to find my next one!! I placed 95th out of 183 runners. With a time of 39 minutes. I'll take it?!
A few of my girlfriends from the kids' school who have done quite a few of these and have been trying to recruit me in so it was fun to finally run with them.

Jim would have loved to give one of these a try too.
He is getting surgery on his knee in a few weeks and will hopefully join me at this once he is all healed up!


No before pictures of the storm since we packed all of our stuff away to just get out there.
But you can see we made it though and are still feelin great, just with a thick layer of dust on our skin :)

After the race our husbands and kids all joined us as we stopped at Native New Yorker to eat and finally relax, sit outside and watch the storm come through in full force. Nothing like a beer and healthy bar food to top off our stormy run right?

4 comments:

Brian said...

Good job Linda! Sounds like fun... except for the running.

Linda said...

It's totally fun except for the running! I still hate that part of it!!! But is pretty cool making it through. I am telling you, you and Sandy should do it too ;)

The Ricci's said...

WOW! Way to go Linda! If that is who this really is... my Linda is a self-proclaimed NON-runner! Congrats! I am sure if feels great to accomplish! Just don't expect me to sign up! ;)

Linda said...

I know right?! Can you believe it Missy? What is wrong with me? It is true though, good sense of accomplishment! I think you should totally do this with me!!